Founding Dates of European Universities
- 635 - Cambridge (England)
- 792 - Paris (France)
- 879 - Oxford (England)
- 968 - Cordova (Spain)
- 1116 - Bologna (Italy)
- 1209 - Valencia (Spain)
- 1215 - Arezzo (Italy)
- 1224 - Naples (Italy)
- 1228 - Padua (Italy)
- 1229 - Toulouse (France)
Harper’s Book of Facts, 1905.
At both Oxford and Cambridge, anyone who represented the University at sport was commonly referred to - but quite incorrectly - as a “Blue.”
The Adventure of the Three Students. The Annotated Sherlock Holmes by William S. Baring-Gould, 1972.
A Haligonian is a native of Halifax, Nova Scotia - just as a “Cantabrigian” is a native of Cambridge, a “Liverpudlian” of Liverpool, and a “Glaswegian” of Glasgow.
Dictionary of Word and Phrase Origins, Volume III by William & Mary Morris, 1971.
Corpus Clock & Chronophage, Cambridge University.
Best Geek Bars in the U.S.
- Miracle of Science - Cambridge, Massachusetts
- Barcade - Brooklyn, New York
- Quark’s Bar - Las Vegas, Nevada
- Minibar - Washington D.C.
- Edinburgh Castle - San Francisco, California
- Outpost Tavern - Houston, Texas
From Wired Magazine (2007)